Guide To Choosing The Correct Covered Walkway Solution
Choosing the correct walkway canopy solution for you can be a long and time consuming process of research and gathering information on the types of covered walkways that are available. Walkway canopies have multiple applications but are generally used for linking buildings, covering entrance areas, ensuring users are kept dry and safe from the weather.
With help from this guide we aim to show you the different style of walkways available to you and the optional extras that we can supply from lighting, seating and guttering. Having a covered walkway installed makes the entrance to your building an attractive focal point and ensures that staff and general public remain dry whilst entering the building. Covered walkways come can be supplied in a lineal run or a complete bespoke design that is unique in shape and size.
We hope in reading through this guide will have provided you with all the relevant information that you require to help you chose the correct walkway canopy to suit your needs, should you require further assistance please call our dedicated sales team on 0844 335 0323
All of our walkways are constructed from structural grade steel, it is strong, robust and it can be galvanised for ultimate corrosion protection from the elements. Steelwork can also be powder coated to any RAL colour of your choice enabling the structure to fit in with your school colours or building.
Selecting the correct roofing option is just as important as the design of the frame work, as it affects the overall look and functionality of your canopy.
PET – Roof panels are the most popular choice for our canopies due to their UV properties and durability. The panels can be supplied in various thicknesses from 4mm up to 10mm; PET also has high impact resistance and can be cut to almost any shape and size. The panels are easily maintained and do not yellow over time, they can be supplied in various colours, Clear, Opaque, smoked and can also be supplied with a vinyl wrap.
Polycarbonate – Roof panels are a cost effective roofing solution for your canopy, they can be supplied in various thickness, but panels can only be cut to certain sizes, and only used on certain roof styles.
Glass – roof panels add a high quality finish to your canopy, and also bring a classic yet contemporary look. All of our panels are 10mm toughened glass, and can be supplied in a clear or smoked finish.
Walkway size & Design
Choosing the correct walkway design will be dictated by the size of the area you wish to cover, the building you hope to compliment, and the purpose of the walkway. Each style of walkway will
be suited to different areas depending on the size. We also offer a bespoke design & fabrication service to tailor the walkway to your needs, it can be made to whatever shape and size you require, and our Design Team will work with you to create the correct solution for you.
Other options to consider will be the style of roof that you choose for your walkway, selecting the correct roof will make the walkway a stand out feature that people will notice when entering your building. Each style of roof has its own unique features, some style of roofs are more suited to be free standing walkways, others work better when used leaning against a building.
Apex – These walkways are suitable with all types of buildings and environments but are best suited with older style buildings with an existing apex roof. The sloping panels are easily cleaned and are a cost effective roof design.
Mono Pitched – is a popular choice. Its simple design will fit in with almost any building or environment, this design is cost effective and can be easily maintained.
Curved – roofs are a more modern design, allowing for larger span walkways, domed walkways will fit in any environment. Whether your existing building has a pitched or domed roof, the canopy will blend in.
Mono Curved – walkways stand out when installed with a contemporary building, the curved design will help make any entrance stand out. Mono curved roofs are cost effective solution and can be easily maintained.
Wave – The wave roof design is our most modern design for a walkway. The elegant sweeping roof compliments any building. The design of the roof ensures all rain water drains off correctly into attached guttering and the maintenance of the walkway remains cost effective.
Choosing the correct finish for your walkway is an important decision as it will affect the look and the longevity of your canopy, we always suggest that you have your walkway galvanised and then powder coated. Galvanising is an industrial finish that is a corrosion protective coating the galvanising itself is a dull silver finish. Having your walkway powder coated to suit your building or schools colour will complement the overall look of your canopy and building; we have a standard colour chart for the powder coating but we can also offer a full range of BS & RAL colours.
The quality and value for money from your walkway is the most important aspect to take into account, always check the material that the walkway is going to fabricated from and the life expectancy. All of our products are fabricated from the highest specification material to suit your walkway design. All of our walkways, including our bespoke structures, are designed to meet the required levels of wind and snow loadings specific to your area.
Side Panels – Although most walkways have no side panels, some walkways will need them to run down one side of the walkway to stop the wind and rain from coming into the protected area. Some walkways will require panels to both sides, giving a fully enclosed design and outstanding protection for users.
Removable Panels – We can fabricate walkways with removable side panels, giving the flexibility of access through the area whilst still allowing the walkway to remain in place.
Doors – Some walkways will require access from multiple points, depending on how long the walkway is. We can fabricate your walkway with access doors at set points or all along the length of your walkway should you require it.
Roller Shutters – We can fit roller shutters to your walkway to allow secure access to areas, shutters can be electrical or manually operated. Roller shutters are ideal for when the area needs to be accessed regularly, but still allows the walkway to remain secure when needed.
Solar Lights – With energy costs on the rise, many customers are considering alternative energy options for their schools or business, one easy way to use alternative energies is to have solar lights fitted into your walkway.
Crash Pads – All our walkway posts are compatible with multi coloured crash pads, these not only finish off the look of the walkway, but also offer superb protection against collision injuries.
Ordering your Covered Walkway
Once you have decided on the type of Walkway you wish to purchase, you have a few more steps to follow to ensure the purchase and installation of your shelter run as smoothly as possible. Below is a simple guide of the steps we suggest you take before ordering your shelter.
- Site Survey – We always suggest that you get a site survey conducted before you make your decision on the shelter type, the survey will allow you to see where the shelter will be installed and how it will look on site, and also let you see any unforeseen issues, like doors or windows being blocked, or underground services interfering with the installation of the shelter. Canopies by Acer offer a free site survey for all of our customers.
- Planning Permission – Before progressing further your enquiry, we suggest that you check with the local council to enquire whether if you require planning permission for your shelter. Check with the council that there are no special requirements for the shelter, e.g. height, length or a particular colour.
- Quotation – Once you have had your site survey completed and spent time discussing your requirement with our design team, we will send you a fixed price quotation with our specification and design.
- Placing your Order – Once you are happy with the cost and design of your shelter and you are ready to order your canopy with us, all that we require from yourselves is a purchase order and we will then send the required paper work to confirm all the details. We will also assign a dedicated Project Manager to keep you informed of every step of the process from start to finish.
- Drawing Approval – Once your order has been confirmed we will send over a technical drawing, for your, or the local councils, approval. Once we have received confirmation that the drawing has been approved we can then put your shelter into production, from here we can then arrange the installation date.
- Installation – Your Project Manager will plan your installation, and book the site team and steel work to arrive. We will ensure we cause the least disruption on site as possible, and adhere to all Health & Safety guidelines whilst working on site.
- Completion – Once your installation has been completed, the site team will clear the area of all debris and ensure the shelter and surrounding area has been cleaned down, they will then ask you to complete a sign off certificate for the installation.
- Feedback – We love to hear back from our customers, if we’ve lived up to expectations great, we hope to see you again. If there has been a problem please let us know so we can resolve it and ensure your, happy with the finished project.